Monday, April 11, 2011

Topic: Quotes

I started writing a story of my own volition. I like when that happens, because so often I feel like I'm writing for my classes and can't always tell the difference between me wanting to write and me having to write. And I'm lying on my bed writing this with the smell of spring rain coming through the window, which is just a little inspirational paradise itself.

I hate quoting people. For instance, I hate that Bob Marley quote that almost every single "deep" person has on their Facebook about love and how everyone is going to hurt you and suffering for the ones that are worth it. That's just pessimistic, come on now (not to mention self-centered). People are not out to hurt you. It is no one's goal to make you fall in love with them and then break your heart. And the quote makes you seem like some kind of martyr, like love is all about suffering and the whole point is to just bear it. You know, that breeds complacency and makes it seem like you've got no control. Except control is all you've got. You don't like your situation, change it. If they love you, and you explain to them what's up, then they'll be sensitive to how you're feeling. You don't have to suffer in silence for other people. Fuck that quote.

HOWEVER (oh yes, there is always a however, isn't there), I just Stumbled Upon this quote:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Oh, that's just Albert fucking Einstein, and I fell in love with him more when I read that. I don't like it when people tell me they think they're dumb. I'm in the camp that says that there are millions of different kinds of intelligence, and that's why IQ tests and SATs and GREs are bullshit--they measure one kind of intelligence. Are you telling me that the guy that can't read but can take a car apart and put it back together is stupid? Are you telling me that a girl who doesn't have good literary interpretation skills but is a stellar public speaker is stupid? Am I stupid because I can't fix my computer when it breaks?

He's also quoted saying something about how learning more about one thing makes you learn less about everything else. That's why I was so stubborn about choosing a major when I came to college--I wanted to learn about everything. That man. After my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment